The Beaux-arts: when artistic excellence meets contemporary challenges
The long history of the French National School of Fine Arts began in 1648 when Louis XIV founded the Royal Academy of Painting and Sculpture, to which architecture was added in 1671. Today the School continues to provide an exceptional artistic education, teaching artistic fundamentals with contemporary approaches. The School’s rich curriculum combines the study of theory with practice in the studio. Students are closely supervised by mentors, most of whom are experienced artists.
The School applies its tradition of excellence to meeting current social challenges. Historically located in the Parisian neighborhood of Saint-Germain des Près, since 2009 the school has set up five creative workshops in the town of Saint-Ouen, just beyond the Paris city limits. This project is the fruit of a genuine partnership between the School of Fine Arts and the Saint Ouen town government to respond to current social and urban challenges, which are often the subject of artistic creation today.